Thread: Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I doubt that Trump is creating his own policy re Russia. I believe he is depending on the advisers he has picked to craft a stance and response. Although, he may blurt out a tweet or Presser response that his opponents can twist to show what a lying dummy he is. I agree he should shut up more. But that likely won't change.

The dreadful thing about Putin's maneuvering is, in my opinion, crafted in respect to how he views the European and American public's desire to avoid war. As well, the pacifist views of European and American leaders.
I think he is creating his own policy because what he says and what other senior / cabinet officials say do not always jive. And their responses tend to be more of a Bush era FP (which excepting Iraq was far better IMO than Obama's) but they have to temper their remarks so not to send the boss into a tizzy.

Agree on Putin's pushing to see what he can getaway with WRT Europe / NATO - which VVP actively wedges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Unfortunately I think Putin sees big cracks in the Euro, NATO, US alliance.
At the very least there is the appearance that the traditional alliances are fragile and in diplomacy appearances count.
Hopefully Trump will not learn the hard way that private beatings are better than public dressing down and that there are consequences to verbal abuse of other leaders. Those things have a way of coming back to bite you.
There are cracks. I also think it is easy to blame Trump for those cracks and far too easily (conveniently?) dismissed that every SecDef and CINCEUR for the past 20 years has told Europe Leaders again and again that they need to up their share for their own common defense. They only countries REALLY doing it are the former Soviet Block countries. This problem well predates Trump - can't blame him for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
There may be verbal squabbles, but there are no cracks in the alliance for Putin to see. There is a visible weakness in the partners will to actually fight. He tested that weakness and got Crimea. How much further testing he does remains to be seen. He and Trump are not getting along at this point. Europe has a way to go before it can match Russia's penchant for building military strength and aggression.

Are you willing to go to war with Russia and its alliance with China?
There are cracks. NATO's / EU's #1 powerhouse can sail, can't tank, and can't fly, but they have upped their NG imports from Putin. That is not a crack, it is a whole.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming: