View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
ecduzitgood
time to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
High School Athletics is a requirement for some colleges and helps you get into others....all of the Miltary Academies w/ the Exception of the Coast Guard Academy require you to have taken a High School Sport.
There are other methods that can be used to replace school sports, once they have been eliminated and replaced with private sector businesses.

Trade Schools are Public Schools that have a Sports Program as well.
Lose the sports program here also.

I actually like the fact that schools have so many options for a kid to excel....not just sports. My Son loves music....he got elected to be the Drum Major for band....he definitely does not feel inferior because he doesn't play sports. he looks forward to football games when he get to get out there.
I was not addressing other programs that are not physically competitive and teach skills that a student can build upon.

when kids have many options available to grow into they find something that lights a fire for them. What about kids that aren't good at the 3 "R"s...but a light shines for Music, Art, Science, Cooking, or Carpentry....this could be what steers them in that direction in life.
All acceptable to me, they are not competitive sports

Plenty of kids that played sports go into Sports Medicine and Therapy fields...its not just about throwing a football...its about finding something that lights a fire in a kid. And Competition is not a bad thing....it helps people strive
Imagine how many more positions would be available to them if the private sector took over competitive sports

I'm pretty sure a strict program of Just the 3 "R"s is how they do it in China and North Korea
I can honestly say I don't have the intellect to post a proper response to this