View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #62
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
So, Jim, if the Republicans maintain control of Congress and win the Presidency in 2015, but don't get rid of the ACA, don't actually control immigration (especially since the rest of the world seems to able to do so), don't seriously begin to downsize the federal government and devolve power back to the states, don't begin to harness in and dismantle the regulatory bureaucracy, don't restore a "pro-growth" government interface with business, don't make serious changes to the federal tax code toward a flat or "fair" tax . . . for starters . . . what then?
Detbuch, it's a pretty big leap, I think, to assume that a GOP president would be so wishy washy that they wouldn't even be pro business. I'll grant you that if we elect a republican like you describe, it's not much of a victory...though even a republican that pathetic would be a huge improvement over Hilary. But I don't think any republican running would be as bad as what you describe. But the fact is, the country isn't ready to elect a hard line tea party/libertarian like I assume you and I might both like, but it's not going to happen. I want to nominate the most conservative candidate who is electable. Let me ask you...if the choice is we nominate a moderate who will win, or nominate a hard liner who will lose to Hilary, is one of those two scenarios closer to your ideal than the other, or not?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device