View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
It is.

I saw something yesterday, a couple posts by a couple people smarter than me, that hit on a few points. A politician (Macron) is going to Politik.

But maybe Nationalism is different in other countries where the culture is pretty homogeneous. You know the French are mostly French, 'cept when they've been invaded (from Germany you Dog Whistle Hearers). The Germans thinking the German race is the master race, etc.

But with America we celebrate shared ideals. We are not French or Germans or Sri Lankans (except for those that want to divide us along those lines). Since as Americans we are a mix of all different things we try to bind along ideals like opportunity and liberty. That yes, Americans should move our interest and ideals first and be the inspiration for other people to do the same.

A little nationalism in our ideals, Freedom and Opportunity is a good thing. Ultra-nationalism based on skin color and ethnicity is what is dumb, and is, ya know, racist and fascist.
I don't think what you say here is a difficult concept to understand. Your idea of what is now being touted as an American nationalism is what Bannon refers to as American economic nationalism and what Trump refers to when he claims to be a nationalist.

But the anti-Trump media either can't, or won't recognize Trump's easy to understand version by insisting on another version promulgated by Mussolini and Hitler, in which nationalism has strong ingredients of racism, fascism. This insinuates that Trump is a fascist racist whatever. And I believe that they stubbornly refuse to recognize the version you speak of in order to intentionally cast Trump as a fascist racist. As I say, it is not at all difficult to understand your version, nor Trump's version which is virtually the same as yours. Which is why I think the media intentionally distorts the truth and is "fake" when it does so.