Thread: Tuna Fishing
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Capt.dan

Tuna Fishing

I was lucky enough to have two days back to back of tuna fishing. Boy was it fun. Friday I went Giant hunting with one of my friends who fishes commercially for them, and we didn't catch any tuna but we found tuna, but they weren't hungy i guess. We did manage some cod and some unwanted dog fish.
Today I went out to the SWC in my buddies maritime patriot. We left the plymouth boat lunch around 530am and headed east. It was another great day but no Tuna. We did however, find them. busting the surface. Wow! is that cool to watch. would of been better to have hooked up but so be it. We trolled slugos, Ronz,X-raps and jigged butterfly jigs. The swc was covered with boats. I guess this is normal for the weekend. It got rough out there around 12pm and we stuck it out till 230 and then headed home.
For me this was the first two times tuna fishing and I'm still trying to figure out the hows and two's. So, I ask, how fast should you troll x-raps and slugos? We were trolling between 2.5 and 4mph is that good? should we troll slower with slugos? Also, how far back should we put our baits behind the boat? And do people really catch fish on the squid bars? If the fish are down 30-60ft? And which works better squid bars or x-raps/slugos? Are down riggers a should have? And is Pink a good color to have? Pink?
Thanks Dan
Capt.dan is offline   Reply With Quote