View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #8
Surfsters

Well guys I probably do not know anymore than you; I would say that Bob Pond probably did copy a Creek Chub body like he sez.....Was he the first one??? Some of the builders in NY were building lures as early as 1935 that I am aware of; long before Bob.......The wealthy NY crowd would follow the fish and as Steve said; stuff and ideas got swapped. I will say that Bob Pond took Bill Sherer's [ Cap'n Bill's ] "idea" about plastic and ran with it; beating Bill to the punch. I recently met a gentleman that sez he was involved with making the [ wooden ] prototypes for Bobs plastic lures; [ Bob hired him ] he also made proto's for Cap'n Bill's and others......

Tagger here is a good comparison of yesterday and today.........

He also made wooden bodies for Atom, Cap'n Bill's; and Gibbs in large runs....[ sorry guys ]... I am currently writing an article on this gentlemen.

Three modern NJ builders that I know of are currently buying turned bodies in bulk from a mill and splitting them. If you are from NJ you may have noticed this on a certain " hmmmm " body style....... Is custom turning generic???

I doubt we will ever really know who made the first Atom style body; for now lets leave it at Bob Pond; its more glamorus that way don't you think? If you do not want to leave it alone; look at a early 1930's era Creek Chub "Snook Pike" from the bottom for instance. What do you see???

Tagger, I always wanted to thank you and the other guys here for using links to my website instead of just my pics as often happens on the other sites, it is greatly appreciated............................
Surfsters is offline   Reply With Quote