View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
Let the bank call in your mortgage for no reason and see how fast they claim the rules were changed fo rno reason.

Chesepeake Bill, I am not saying we need to kill pensions "for no reason". Many towns and states, which already have insane tax rates, have no chance of meeting these obligations. So you tell me, what's the choice? Does everyone in the private sector have to work 75 hours a week, so that cops can retire at 45 years old, with a guaranteed pension for life?

I don't blame the cop for the fact that politicians (who only cared about getting the union vote) had no business making that deal. But the fact is, governments don't have nearly enough money to fund those benefits. That's the harsh reality.

Your insinuation that I suggest cutting back is "for no reason" is insulting and deeply offensive. My "reason" is that I don't want to pay $15,000 a year in property taxes for a 3 bedroom house on half an acre. For my house, my current property tax bill of $8,000 feels like more than enough. If municipal employees cannot find a way to live within that level of revenue, that greed shouldn't be forced upon me and my family. Public service is not supposed to be a guaranteed path to wealth and comfort. If cops and teachers want to be wealthy, let them earn it in the private sector.

I respect cops and teachers. However, their financial security is not more important to society than my own financial security.

In another post, someone suggested that teachers would all leave the profession if they did away with pensions. FAT CHANCE. I'd like to see tenured teachers hack it in the private sector, where you have to earn your job every single day, work more hours for significantly less benefits, and not get a raise unless you worked for it.