View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
With regards to SS tax, the teachers in my area pay into a separate fund with a rate that (if I remember correctly, probably am not though) equals the SS tax rate.

Concerning the town contracts, it is only a matter of time before towns realize firing everyone and subcontracting all of it to private entities is the best course of action.
Maywood, California Fires All Town Employees, Outsources Everything: An Act Of 'Municipal Genius'?

Mansfield for example has two full time public works employees that spend half their day watching soap operas and playing cards. I know because a kid I graduated with landed one of the jobs making good money, earning towards his pension, good beni's... great for him, terrible for the rest of us. It is absolutely insane.
"With regards to SS tax, the teachers in my area pay into a separate fund with a rate that (if I remember correctly, probably am not though) equals the SS tax rate."

Do you know what kind of return they get on those contributions? I read that baby-boomers will ee about a 1.9% average annual return on what they paid into social security, which is a lousy rate of return. My generation will pay more and receive less, so there's no way I'll break even. That teacher fund you referred to probbaly returns teachers 35% a year, guaranteed.