View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

"Green Jobs" for ScottW

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Green jobs serve a political purpose, but not an economic one. The evidence from Spain and elsewhere is ample -- each green job created destroys more than two other jobs elsewhere in the economy.
That argument is outside the point of the thread about Duke41's tongue in cheek commentary of the Obama speech arm-waving debacle and about Van and the %$%$%$%$ty vetting job they did on him.

Do you actually believe the drivel I quoted?
Total hijack here, but my own thoughts
Any realist environmentalist (or environmental scientist (like me) knows that we are not going to suddenly stop using coal, oil, gas etc.. but putting some solar panels and turbines up.

HOWEVER, we NEED to work towards limiting production of this and increasing our reliance on alternative energy. Think of the process as a supplement for a solution. Not a replacement. Will there someday be a replacement for fossil fuels? Probably, because we will run out of oil someday (read a book called Hubbles Peak, which is written BY A GEOLOGIST who studies Oil, not some pundit) We will run out of Natural Gas, we eventually will run out of coal. Take away the climate change argument since I'm sure you believe that is a liberal conspiracy. Do you think that using less coal, oil and natural gas is better for the environment? Tour a coal strip mine or look at the aerial images of the gulf coast taken DAYS after Katrina and last year's hurricane. You will see slicks of oil POURING from platforms and refineries that were hit by the storm. Don't like those arguments, how about National Security? That is staunch conservative Boone Pickens argument "Don't want those Arabs getting our money"....

for the foreseeable future we will need "Conventional" energy sources. The realistic goal should be the capping of what we are using now, and taking up as much of the global growth in energy demands with alternative energy as we work towards decreasing our reliance of fossil fuels. ALL of which requires new technology and JOBS. Go to urban areas and the potential is huge for construction jobs, technology jobs etc... Oil is low right now, we're all enjoying the relative low cost compared to $4 gas, but it is coming again.... to loosely paraphrase Tom Friedman, would you have gone to Silicon valley 15 or 20 years ago to fight for the typewriter lobby because computers were going to take jobs away???

Do me a favor, answer this question for me. From your heart and head, not some article. Don't quote, I want the Scott W argument (I'll bold the question and put it into italics so it isn't skipped) How does developing the technology and industry of alternative energy and so called green jobs get rid of other jobs??

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"