Thread: Food stamps
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #18
JohnnyD

Two things...
Quote:
Originally Posted by the point View Post
Medical conditions could be the cause of weight Gain, Like my cousin She is a Big Girl and eats nothing due to her thyroid problem..
A friend is a Nurse Practitioner that specializes in endocrinology. I asked her how frequent fat people are fat due to "genetics" (ie. a thyroid problem. She said very few fat people that would come to her office excusing their obesity to overweight actually had thyroid issues - she saw up to 20 people per day. Even still, if they did have thyroid problems, it would explain no more than 20-40lbs of extra weight.

As such, I don't buy the "it's genetic" excuse when people that are pushing 300lbs claim it's "not my fault". Thyroid issues didn't all of a sudden increase in the last 20 years, but laziness and a lack of personal accountability sure has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
I worked at a grocery store in high school. When food stamps came out, I'd see the same exact people, every single month, trying to buy cigarettes, loottery tickets, lipstick, perfume, etc...It made me sick to know that's where my money was going.
A story of my own from a couple years ago that still boils my blood. I'm in the self-checkout line at Stop & Shop. Waited a couple minutes for the person in front of my because they had a fair amount and just as they were finishing up a woman comes up to me "can I go in front of you, I'm only getting some gum?" I only had a few items but said it was no problem.

Then, she grabs some random gum from the rack, scans it and pays with her EBT card, but here's the kicker.....

She got $60 or so *CASH BACK*!!! Then, I saw her proceed to the customer service counter and buy a carton of cigarettes. These are the type of people we are providing "aide" to.