View Single Post
Old 05-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #24
Karl F

same, and to be expected...

I do not think it is realistic to expect all members to be "active" members, and I have to disagree with the statement: "So paying dues and saying you are a member is bogus".
If the 1200 plus or minus members of the MBBA (I would love to see it hit 2500 ) want to pay the dues, that's great, every nickel is needed... clubs don't run on the $ that the 30 or 40 regulars can kick, that's for sure, and I know for a fact that some of the irregulars make some healthy donations to the general fund, and the legal fund when they re-up... as long as they don't say they are "active" members (active to me, means participating in projects, events, meetings, shows, etc.) I think that it would be nice if every member showed up for the cleanup of their own beach... can you imagine the turnouts we'd get then Wendy?? I made 5 of the 9 we had this year, and had to burn a couple of vacation days to do it, but done so gladly! Also gave a couple hundred or so hours of my time in another way to the club this year.
Now... I belong to MSBA as well... all I gave them was my dues, and bought a chitload of raffle tickets..... I don't consider myself an active member of that club, and shame on me, but, there are only so many hours one can give, while trying to work, pay bills, and most importantly be an "active" parent, in todays crazy-assed world.
But, I think if you canvassed any club, you would find it the same, a very, very small percentage step up, and tow the line..... but the dues ARE appreciated.
Karl F is offline   Reply With Quote