View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #131
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Try to discredit people who are old as stupid and you may eat a little crow That's a big problem in America. We don't tap into the vast wealth of knowledge and life experiences our older people have to offer.
Some of us think we are more knowledgable but we are not smarter. There is a difference.
So what you're saying is that people of his generation *didn't* think that Rock & Roll was music of devil worshipers?

Seriously though, you're right. 4 years working full time as an EMT, about half our patients were basic transports to/from doctor's appts for people over 60. 10, 20, 30 minutes in the back of an ambulance with these folks with nothing to do but some paperwork allows a lot of time for discussion. Many people I'd see every (sometimes multiple times) a week and I always appreciated the knowledge I would gain from their opinion coming from the polar opposite side of the age spectrum, not to mention the wisdom that radiates from them if you take the time to listen.

Hell, just about everything I know about fishing is due to the overwhelming generosity of a few people (who have now become good friends) that have decades of fishing experience, some with more experience than years I've been alive. I hold a deep appreciate for their wisdom and guidance.