View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #93
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Gutsy leadership? Then why didn't he come out and say "I was also against Simpson-Bowles; Obama reduced 700 billion from medicare, but I also voted for the same cuts because it will reduce the burden medicare will put on future generations; Under my plan we would balance the budget, but to do it, exemptions would have to go away and the tax rate on people who make less than X amount would pay 10%. Since exemptions are gone, it would actually end up raising their taxes by about $2000. For people who make more, the rate will be 25%. It will result in a substantial tax inrease for those in the bracket who get most of their income from salary, but it necessary to balance the budget. I would get rid of taxes on dividends and interest, because I believe that the result will be a boom in the economy and everyone will benefit from the incredible investment that results from the wealthiest Americans investing in business."

How about that kind of leadership? Then people could vote for the plan they prefer.

Like Obama or not, he said what his policies would be: healthcare payed in part by tax increases on the wealthy; more regulation on wall street; stimulus bills that focus on teachers, firefighters, and job training, etc. He was wrong about the results and the speed of the recovery, but he didn't misrepresent what his policies would be.
"Like Obama or not, he said what his policies would be..."

Like cutting the deficit in half, closing Gitmo, not raising taxes on anyone making less than $250k, transparency, and my favorite, that he would "change" DC and be the one to bring us together...

Did Ryan lie about his stance on Simpson-Bowles?

"everyone will benefit from the incredible investment that results from the wealthiest Americans investing in business."

Nice liberal bumber-sticker mentality, which unfortunately doesn't match the truth...anyone can invest in the stock market who wishes to. And today, many non-wealthy folks have some stocks and bonds, it's not just for the Rockefellers anymore. And if those tax rates on dividends are such an offense, pray tell why Obama didn't do somehting about it when the liberals controlled the executive and legislative branch?

When the liberals responsed to Ryan's medicare plan with that commercial, what liberals are saying is "we know we cannot have an honest debate on this topic with this man. So we have to demonize him."

Obama's plan takes $700 billion out of Medicare, which hurts current seniors. Ryan's plan has absoultely no impact on anyone under 55. Thatgives people more time to sock away more money that they will need. Ryan has never said that his plan doesn't mean people will have to pay more. But unlike Obama's plan, Ryan isn't asking current Medicare patients to pay more. The post baby-boom generations will have to pay a lot more out-of-pocket for our Medicare coverage. I don't like that, as it effects me. But I am honest enough to admit that it's necessary. Ryan says it's necessary. Democrats don't say it's necessary, in fact they attack those who do say it's necessary, just as you have done here.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 08-31-2012 at 06:58 PM..