View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #49
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
But Do you think Trump would have an issue with that approach?
He certainly thinks Congress should fulfill his wishes and that without him all will fail.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I avoid mind reading. Don't have the psychic powers. Don't know what Trump would think about an enabling act. Nor if he knows what that is. Any halfway decent advisor would tell him not to ask for such a thing. Wouldn't be prudent (as GHWBush would say}, nor possible.

But, I suspect, most Presidents would wish that they could do whatever they wanted. Several have acted that way through various unconstitutional maneuvers that they got away with. Andrew Jackson was a bit of a tyrant. Nixon was considered an imperial President by some. FDR and his administration admired the central planning of the Soviet Union as a Progressive model for government getting things done. His whole New Deal was an effective beginning of our current administrative state, which surplants Congress's duty by enacting rules that govern us. The nearly unimpeded efficiency of our federal administrative bureaucracy is a centralized authority that would be the envy of the old U.S.S.R.

L.B. Johnson was an effective bully. And Obama was fairly effective at bypassing Congress to get what he wanted done. http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/19/...on-presidency/

If Trump can successfully write illegal executive orders (those that are outside of his enumerated executive power), he will have had some solid precedents to guide him.