View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #28
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
The Ruger Mini 14 (pic attached below) is more accurate than most AR15s and has been around a helluva lot longer.

The AR15 is like when we used to tune out Abu 6500 series reels - we'd would simply customize them how we woulds want.

For some perhaps, but for most, the AR15 is a fine shooting, comfortable, customization rifle. Just a Swiss Army knife of a rifle for sport, fun, or even hunting

What we need to do is find a way to get the Adam Lanzas away from firearms.
"For some perhaps, but for most, the AR15 is a fine shooting, comfortable, customization rifle. Just a Swiss Army knife of a rifle for sport, fun, or even hunting"

Agreed 100%. I am talking about a very small (not small enough) number of very sick people with dark and violent fantasies. When they snap, they don't usually show up with my granddad's Marlin .22.

I'm not saying we should ban them. I guess I'm just pointing out, that since many here deny that there is any connection between these "sexy" guns and the rare mass killings, it shows how impossible it is to have a productive dialogue. Both sides are too rigid in their ideology.

It's not the guns causing this. You solve a problem, ultimately, by addressing the underlying cause. and the underlying cause, is that we don't care about each other the way we used to. We can put armed guards in schools, we can ban bump stocks and high capacity magazines, and those things might reduce the body count, but they are addressing the symptom, not the underlying problem.

The underlying problem, is that our moral compass is broken. We mock traditional family values, when we should be doing everything we can to encourage them, because they work better than anything else that we know of. Secular progressivism and the internet, are exacerbating the underlying problem. Probably not causing it, but obviously making it worse. 75% of black babies are now born without a dad. Hooray! If that represents some great cultural leap forward, the benefit is sure lost on me.