View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Pete_G

From DZ:

"The Snowstorm Blitz"

Imagine surf fishing for not one but two nights during a blitz of cow-sized bass, many of which are over 50 pounds with a few 60s thrown in. “In your dreams”, “just not possible” you might say. I would say the same thing – only I know better – I lived it. Need a little tease? How about 140 bass landed (most between 30 and 60 pounds) in about six hours of fishing!

The setting: November 1987, just offshore of Block Island a huge school of monster striped bass is on station feeding on the abundant 6-inch sand eels. A Nor'easter roars through the area bringing with it 50 mph winds and a snowstorm that dumps 4-6 inches of snow on the island. When the weather clears the stage is set for some 35-40 surf casters that don't realize just how fortunate they are about to become. But no one could have imagined what would happen in the days after that storm……

Those who attend will re-live this event through a power point presentation that I’ll give on January 31st at the SWE Surf Fishing Day. Hear the stories about those who caught their dream fish – and about others who lost hook-ups that still haunt them to this day. And if that’s not enough - learn the history of the needlefish – the plug that has become synonymous with Block Island.
Hope to see you at the show.

DZ
Pete_G is offline   Reply With Quote