View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #100
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Without context your question makes little sense. The response to Buck was clearly in context of both the Tea Party and Republicans.

A question IN GENERAL applies to all contexts. Its intrinsic context is universal. My question can be applied to the "context" of a supposed irony that members of the Tea Party and the Republican Party, supposedly being "self responsible" should not "blame" (your accusatorial locution) the "media" for poorly portraying them. It is beyond irony to the point of being ridiculous to imply, as you did, that being "self responsible" either is supposed to somehow shield one from being poorly portrayed, or if one is, that one should not blame the portrayer but assume that being accused, since you're "self responsible" you are guilty.

There are certainly valid news stories of racial and violent language images being used in Tea Party protests. And it is the responsibility of the media to raise the question if this is pervasive in the movement, or if the movement's leadership is in fact enjoying or inciting this behavior.

So, since the "media" has loudly "raised the question" and has quietly not found racism and violence to be pervasive in the movement, I assume that we can dismiss such charges by various "media" pundits and Democrat politicians.

Across the board the mainstream reporting on this issue has focused on the individuals and not white washed the entire movement like you have done above.

What did I white wash the movement of?

Then again, when FOX News rants about some liberal blog posting, people seem to think that's a big story.

So, if the "media" talks about violent and racial "language" being used by "individuals" at tea party gatherings, that is "valid" news, but if FOX News talks about an individual blog posting, that is "ranting"?

It sounds like you're assessing the overall coverage as quite neutral overall. Good, the media should be neutral. Glad we can agree again.

I don't know if overall it is neutral. I, as probably most tea partiers are, am not concerned one way or the other.

Keep Palin and Bachman on stage and the party will do plenty to discredit themselves.

Discredit in what way?

The sad part is that close to election day voters will return to their party of choice, and for the vast majority of the Tea Party that will be the GOP.

-spence
Why is that, if true, sad?

Last edited by detbuch; 04-25-2010 at 08:47 AM..