View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
Swimmer,

You hit it right on the head. The overtime money is typically DHS funding through UASI grants and other Federal programs that are not counted toward retirement. SO using the salaries of employees (especially police) is not a good indicator of how much the state is on the hook for as far as retirement benefits go. It is an indicator of how well representatives are able to get funding back to their states. But why limit ourselves to the facts when we can have a proper witch hunt? The fire is so much brighter to the uninformed...
Bill and Swimmer, here in CT, I do not know of a town where overtime does not contribute to cops' pensions. I have served on my town's board of education, so I know a lot about public unionized employees compensation. As a former benefits actuary, I also know exactly how much more expensive a pension is than a 401(k). If I'm uninformed, can you please point out somethiong I said that's wrong, instead of insulting me simply because you don't like what I'm saying?

Bill, instead of hurling insults at me (and baseless insults at that), can you try to answer a simple, direct question?

"If the entire private sector has to live with whatever we can accumulate in our 401(k)'s, why is it unfair to ask our public servents to do the same?"

Try not to call that question a "witchhunt", and instead try answering it.

And why on Earth is it reasonable that cops can collect those pensions afetr 20 years of service, with no age minimum? My first cousin was a police officer in New Haven, CT. He retired at age 43, and yes, his overtime fattened his pension. He works for 20 years, and gets a pension for 50 years?