View Single Post
Old 02-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Portugal has done better than most of Europe thru decriminalization, it has significantly reduced the Portuguese prison population and eased the burden on the criminal justice system.

I'm lucky enough that I could afford treatment and that my kids haven't had that issue.

I'd just as soon not add to their illness, are you saying that if your kid was addicted, you'd just as soon he also had HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C.
"thru decriminalization, it has significantly reduced the Portuguese prison population and eased the burden on the criminal justice system"

Who cares?

We could also reduce the prison population and ease the burden on our criminal justice system, if we made everything legal. But reducing prison population isn't progress, if it sends people into the public who don't belong there. Telling me that Portugal decreased their prison population, isn't by itself, evidence of any improvement.

Why look at Portugal, when as I said, you can look at liberal utopias like San Francisco.

"I'm lucky enough that I could afford treatment and that my kids haven't had that issue."

So despite the partial dodge, you're saying no, you wouldn't provide needles to an addicted child.

"I'd just as soon not add to their illness"

How is giving them neeedles, not adding to the drug problem?

"if your kid was addicted, you'd just as soon he also had HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C"

I'd drag my kid by the hair into rehab.