View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
ISN'T THAT HOW IT USUALLY HAPPENS ? THIS IS WHY CANDIDATES SPEND MORE TIME TELLING YOU WHY YOU SHOULDN'T VOTE FOR THE OTHER GUY(S) RATHER THAN WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE FOR THEM THE TRACK RECORD BEING JUDGED IS THAT OF THE INCUMBANT....AND MANY WILL VOTE AGAINST THAT TRACK RECORD AND CONTINUING THE POLICIES AND TRAJECTORY
Thus the principle issue with our political candidates, the perpetual "I'm not as bad as he is" approach. One of these days, we will hopefully get away from the negative campaigns and people will actually campaign on their own merit, not an implied lack of merit with their opponent.

During the last election, I asked a friend why he was voting for McCain and his reply started, "well Obama... " You hear it time and time again, "I'm voting for so and so because that other guy sucks."

It's the same in how people defend the political party or politicians they align with. This forum is a perfect example. If there is a criticism of a Republican, the first reply is typically spun into something about Obama. Our expectations have gotten so low when it comes to our elected officials that it's almost impossible to defend the officials we support on their own merits.

We are stuck in a perpetual situation of electing the "lessor of two evils."