Thread: Ukraine
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Trumps tweet on the invasion of Ukraine two+ years ago

Aug 1, 2016 07:50:32 AM When I said in an interview that Putin is "not going into Ukraine, you can mark it down," I am saying if I am President. Already in Crimea! [Twitter for Android]

What will you do now, Don?

I think he is finding out that tweeting is easier than governing.
I think you're right. Tweeting is easier. I do hope that Trump doesn't think that the Ukraine crisis is totally up to him to do something. I have considered it before to be a European matter, and if Europe gets it's chit together, which it may not be capable of doing, it should be able solve the problem. We can be part of that. But a strong united Europe, even without our help, would be enough to direct the dispute into a peaceful resolution. I suspect that Europe is too self-interested to really care about the Ukraine if it meant it had to expend much blood and treasure, and would rather that the U.S. would shoulder the burden.

Putin counts on European weakness and lack of will. So that throws the problem in our lap. Which is wrong. If Europe wants Trump's help, it will have to be nicer to him. And more willing to put up a fight.