Old 01-03-2019, 07:46 AM   #69
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
fyi for those who forget history

https://money.cnn.com/2018/01/18/new...ges/index.html

Shocking the decline of the private sector pay is because of private companies

but lets blame public sector unions
The FIRST SENTENCE of your article says it was a big deal that last year, Walmart raised minimum wage and announced bonuses. But you and all the other liberals constantly said it was meaningless. So who is forgetting history?

Let's settle this once and for all. Were all those bonuses and wage hikes that stemmed from the tax cut, meaningful or not? Because you guys keep flip-flopping on that question, depending on which Maoist point you're trying to make at the time.

As for low wages at Walmart and other huge retailers...WDMSO, do you like low prices and getting good deals? If I had a department store and paid everyone a minimum of $50,000 a year, which forced me to charge $7.50 for a gallon of milk, would you shop at my store? Or would you go to Walmart?

You can't have low prices with razor thin profit margins, combined with across-the-board lucrative pay for all positions. That's not reality.

Public sector unions don't need to care about mathematical or marketplace reality, because they take what they need through force of law, I cannot decide not to pay my taxes. Private sector companies have it much, much harder. They have to make people CHOOSE to fork over their money, they have to make people want to do it. In order to make people want to give you their money, you have to have competitive prices. Your expenses cannot exceed your revenue.

That's what you fail to grasp. Public sector unions can confiscate whatever they want from the citizenry, we don't have the choice not to pay taxes. In the private sector, companies must (1) incentivize customers to voluntarily hand over their money, AND (2) expenses cannot exceed revenue. SO expenses need to be contained, or the company goes out of business. In the public sector, when expenses exceed revenue, you just raise taxes.

Big, big difference. I have worked in the public sector (I was a teacher for a very brief time), and now I'm in the private sector. Have you ever had a meaningful job in the private sector? Ever?