View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
Surfsters

Gota Luv This Thread

Flap... being born and bred here at the Jersey Shore; I find your question amusing and well deserving an honest answer. I usually try to refrain from posting on all the internet message boards because most people do not like what I have to say. But I have a feeling you might in this case.......

First off I would like to say here in Jersey we do not have the deep water or the amount of big fish you have up north, hence most Jersey Makers built plugs to catch little fish.

When Lefty first started building plugs he just epoxied the hook hangers in the baits; that was fine for most of the fish caught, but many big fish were lost, the whole hook hanger ripped from the bait. The design has since changed from what I am told, but not before pissing off a lot of people.

Did you ever see what happens to a totally sealed plug after the lip hits the rocks a few times or a couple of decent fish bend the lip around a little? THEY LEAK! The wood swells, paint peels, etc.

Don't get me wrong I have a couple of boxes full of Lefty's and Wade's, I have been saving for collector value or when I become a very old man and want to catch little fish.

I find it very dishearting to walk into the Asbury Park Show every year and see so many Lefty clones. We have so many talented lure makers here at the Jersey Shore, I just wish they would be themselves and make and perfect one model of their own.

Bob Hahn Plugs, Flap you might also want to hear what I think about them. They suck to fish, but have great collector value now. Did you know that most of the sharpies down here wouldn't fish them, but you New England boys loved them, go figure.

If you are going to the Asbury Show and want a good fishable plug, buy a McFadden, his plugs have caught more big fish than all of them combined.
Surfsters is offline   Reply With Quote