View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
yes, spence. There is a problem with Islam if it makes people nervous. The muslim community should be responding by saying. "Wow, we didnt know this and we respect your opinion. We will continue to work with all Americans to address their concerns and join together to fight the root causes of these concerns. Radical Exremists and mis-information on Islam"
Shouldn't people also be asking why they're afraid of Muslims?

I'd think that would have been a good question for Williams to ask of himself in the segment. Instead he tried to justify his own fear by associating it with terrorism...hence the problem and where he crossed the line.

I don't see most people trying to reach out to understand Islam, in fact it's demonized by the Right as mocked as a weakness. Considering the anti-Islamic sentiment in the country is at an all time high, I'm not sure I'd expect Muslims to be all that understanding when they're stereotyped, and then the expectation is that it's all their fault it happened in the first place!

Like I said before, I think firing Williams was an over reaction, but that doesn't mean he didn't make a pretty offensive remark.

Personally I think he was just patronizing O'Riley and got a little loose with his comments.

-spence