View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #24
Frightnight

OK, I have to pipe in here. Tell me what you think of this??? I am considered an illegal immagrant. Before you flip out, hear my story. I was born in 1961 in Canada, and adopted by my biological aunt & uncle when I was 3 weeks old. I have lived here my entire life, and have worked since I was 10 years old. I have paid my taxes and into Social Security my entire life. I have always been told that I had dual citizenship. Last May, I applied for a passport, and was denied. They now tell me that my parents did not file the proper paperwork when the brought me into the country 45 years ago, and because of that, I am here illegally, and am told, that I will not be eligible for Social Security benefits, even though I have paid them my entire life, until I get an Alien Residence Card, (green card). Now, my parents were unaware they did not file everything they should have, and I just found out about this a year ago at the age of 45. I did not sneak in to the country at 3 weeks old!! Yet, the government feels they should punish me? I speak perfect english, seeing I went to school, and college here, and now own my own business. I sound and look as American as the next guy. Do you feel I should be punished, and not allowed benefits, even though I paid into it my whole life, for something that was completely out of my control. I love this country, but the people in our government that say I am not a citizen, and am illegal, are idiots. I did nothing, but I am referred to as illegal. For the last year, great expense to me, and hundreds of hours of my time, have been spent proving how long I have lived here, and trying to obtain a "Green Card", so I can stay here, which is an insult to me, after living here for my entire live, with the exception of the first 3 weeks. I know my entire bioligical family, and my brother is in Canada, and dieing of cancer. I am not allowed to see him before he dies, or attend the funeral, or I will not be allowed to return to the United States. Now tell me this country is not over reacting. Sorry to vent, and be so long winded, but this is not fair.