View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #36
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Tenn #8 on depending on Feds
Conn #42 on depending on Feds.

with an aging pop and more people retireing, people are heading out of colder climates and heading to warmer areas.

I always enjoyed Brentwood (sub. of Nashville). Very affluent area. nice people.

Edit: I would note that the places you mention are all liberal in cons. states.
"with an aging pop and more people retireing, people are heading out of colder climates and heading to warmer areas."

If climate was the big driver, why isn't Massachusetts losing population like CT is?

Climate is a part of it, of course. So is cost of living. And what people feel they get for what they pay.

Here in CT, our taxes are now on par with Boston and NYC, but we can't offer what they offer. We can offer what Charlotte and Nashville offer, but way more expensive.

We are a base model Honda Civic, with the price tag of a Lexus. That's a tough sell. If people are willing to pay through the nose, many feel they get more for their dollar in Boston or Manhattan. If people want a small-city feel like we have, there are far cheaper options. CT no longer has any value proposition. None whatsoever.

"I always enjoyed Brentwood (sub. of Nashville). Very affluent area. nice people"

My brother lives in the beautiful Nashville suburb of Franklin. Dirt cheap and beautiful.

"I would note that the places you mention are all liberal in cons. states"

People aren't moving to the liberal cities. People are moving to the suburbs in those states.