View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spence, have you been painting inside with the windows shut? You need to open the windows a crack. Not once, not twice, but three times, Obama blocked proposed bills that would have required doctors to care for babies born alive, regardless of perceived viability (and that's what the law you cited called for...unfortunately, viability is very subjective). The 3 proposed laws stated specifically that care would be required for babies that were born, and outside the womb. That's not remotely close to abortion.
Actually he only voted against the legislation once.

Quote:
If you read the factcheck link I posted earlier, they say that the 3rd time the bill was proposed (and blocked by Obama), there were no discernable differences between the bill Obama blocked and the one passed by the US Senate.
Yes, there were similar provisions, but remember that this was all going on at the same time. Obama felt the issue was better handled at the Federal level so the State amendment wasn't used to challenge Roe V Wade in the State courts. I don't believe the refined state amendment (with wording to protect the right for the abortion in the first place) wasn't even added until 2003...after the Federal bill was already signed into law.

Quote:
And the bill passed by the US Senate, last time I checked, had no impact on a woman's right to abortion.
Exactly why Obama supported the Federal legislation.

Did you notice how your hero Newt was claiming that Obama "voted to legalize infanticide" in that recent debate?

-spence