View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #82
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it's pretty amusing that his critics end up sounding and acting worse then him .....
When you conclude that it's necessarily bad that the stock market had a big run up, and that energy, finance and healthcare did well (HUGE sectors of the economy)...

And the liberal mindset that people who struggle, are only struggling because someone else screwed them (preferably a white guy in a suit), it's something. It's really, really something.

My next door neighbor has a really nice daughter, she has lived next door to me for 10+ years, she used to babysit my kids. Se got a degree in nursing from UCONN. While there, she heard about a great, lucrative profession, called nurse anaesthetist (forgive my spelling). She told me about it years ago, she said that if you work as an RN in an ICU for 2 years, then go back to school for 2 years full time to get that designation, you can start at something like 135k. So she did exactly that. She is 26-27 years years old, and making something like 140k at the UCONN Health Center.

She wasn't born with a trust fund, she didn't go to elite private schools like Miss Porters or Phillips Exeter Academy, she didn't get 1600 on her SATs, she isn't a genius, she went to public schools her whole life. Why is she where she is? She took the time to do some research, found a great goal, and did exactly what the experts told her she needed to do, and now she will enjoy the payoff for the rest of her life.

Not everyone can get a nursing degree. But a lot of people can. And there are many other paths to success. It's not a perfect system. One person falling through the cracks is too many, and we have a lot of cracks to fix. But this notion that the rich have rigged the system so that only they can succeed, is demonstrably false horsesh*t.

I love the story of my neighbor's kid. A totally normal kid, who only stands out because she took the time to formulate a plan, and she stuck to it, when lots of kids her age were more interested in going out to clubs.

Actuaries at my company start, right out of college, with salaries of 65k. Pass all the exams (which many kids do before age 30), and you will never make less than 150k for the rest of your life. But the exams are brutal, you will be studying when most 25 year olds are out partying.

The system is a lot more fair than liberals would have you believe it is. I will push all 3 of my boys, as hard as I can, into healthcare (physical therapy, pharmacy, nursing, physicians assistant, things like that). Zillions of jobs. Good, non-out-sourceable jobs, that will allow you to be self sufficient for life.

If you want to have a yacht and a mansion on Nantucket, best to be born into money. If you are satisfied with being comfortable and not having to worry about money all the time, there are all kinds of ways to get there.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 02-28-2017 at 11:48 AM..