View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Please stop the sanity.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Spence, if I concede that there's no likely constitutional violation to these regulations, can you return the courtesy, and answer a question?

Here it is...let's say 250 get shot in Chicago in an average weekend. If we put these rules in place, how many less shootings can we expect in Chicago in an average weekend, as a direct result of these regulations? 3? 5?

Now, if we can save a few lives and not violate anyone's rights, we should do it.

But what will it take, exactly, for people on your side to agree to have the rest of the conversation that's required if we want to put a real dent in gun violence?

The right doesn't like to upset the NRA by curbing gun sales - that's fact. It's also fact that the left doesn't like to alienate urban blacks by telling them to knock it off, which is exactly what we need to be saying to the people in Chicago. The problem in Chicago isn't that these rules aren't yet law, and the problem obviously isn't white cops. The problem is that our culture is no longer embracing the kinds of values and behaviors that make one less inclined to shoot someone else.

Here's how I know that's true. In places that still embrace those values (or "cling" to them, as your beloved would say), there is very little gun crime.