View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #34
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I figured it was tongue in cheek , almost funny too.
I'll take that as a compliment.

Quote:
You're all for better control, except for those that want a better life?
Never said that.

Quote:
Then perhaps she should apply for legal immigration status and legally enter this country. Do you think immigrants that come through breaking our laws to get in generally will be law abiding citizens after some kind of amnesty?
Amnesty is a tricky subject. There's a very good case against it, but there's also the 12M illegals already here. Doesn't seem feasible to round them all up and the economic fallout could be serious.

While we all hear of the exceptions in the news, I'd venture a guess most generally obey the law outside of being here illegally.

Quote:
Sorry, I just have an issue with people breaking the laws and then being given wrist slaps at best.
The punishment should fit the crime, hence the AZ law change to make it criminal to be here without a valid status...so they can round 'em up and deport them which is difficult to do today for people who have been in the US for a long period of time.

I do think this is an area for the law to be more clear, it seems like an immigration judge has a lot of room to decide someone's fate. Regardless, I believe this should be in the Federal domain.

Quote:
I think our biggest problem with immigration is that we do not get enough of the best and brightest that come here legally and retain them. Instead, half the elected government turns and looks the other way for the main influx of immigrants we have. But as a country, we stopped looking forward to improve ourselves and instead became the baby sitter.
Post 9/11 changes certainly seem to have impacted education and employment. Many IT business leaders have been very vocal about this.

Quote:
"I don't think she could be charged under this section of code as she's already here..."

Law no longer applies. Nice.
No, it's just not the applicable part of the code.

-spence