View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #49
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
You're right...we should do nothing and just let natural order take over...

-spence
Whoa . . . wasssup? I try to agree withyall about "doing something" about bombs and you get all sarcastic on me. All right, all right, so I was being a little sarc myself, but I thought it was funny. Bomb control? C'mon . . . not even a smile?

Oh yeah, the natural order. I wasn't aware that nature had lost control yet. I believe that it is "natural" to want to "do something" about random violence, even though, according to the most progressive among us, it was supposed to be various random violent events that created us. Fear is natural and wanting to prevent that which scares us is natural. That all does seem to be within the realm of the "natural order" so doing something, rather than nothing as you imply, IS a part of the natural order.

Now, if you're trying to poke fun at human nature being the Founder's basis for their creation of government, then I don't know what other basis there would be for government. I assume we mean by government, that method with which humans cooperate. I also assume that cooperation is part of the natural order. But so is violence against that cooperation, as is selfishness, as is evil, as are all things human, human nature being a part of the natural order.

The Founder's understood the conflicting natural tendencies in humans. They understood the tendency to give up freedom for security. They understood the tendency of majority suppression of minorities because of various "natural" fears and desires.

That Constitution was not a prescription for doing nothing and letting "the natural order to take over." It was, rather, a recognition of our nature and a governance of it so as to allow individuals their optimum power to realize their personal natural desires. It was "doing something" about the human condition to reign in the destructive portions of our nature, not to loose them upon society. And part of that doing something was not to institute despotic or dictatorial rules that violate our natural and constitutional rights. It was not meant that we should react to fear or momentary emotions to create such rules.