Thread: twitter
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Mr. Sandman

twitter

Their IPO debuts in a few minutes and to be honest....I still don't get it. This entire social media thing.

Beyond the idea that little advertising blurbs will make them billions I don't get the social media thing.

I did some research on what twitter was and it is sort of like a mico blog. Ie..you can say " I went to shopping for a pair of pants today but could not find anything in my size that I liked." Who the hell cares? Why would anyone want to "follow "what anyone else is doing? Why would anyone want to be stalked like that.

OK, I can see a celeb like lady gaga wants to tell all her fans about a concert tour but why do I want to waste my time following you or why should you waste your time following me?

The last couple years I have been playing with facebook and I still don't get the appeal of that. Yeah it is kinda cool to be able to post stuff and have others see it but it is really another big waste of time. Also I do not understand how they make their money. Yeah...I know those annoying targeted ads on the side and now in the news feed. I ask you...have you ever clicked on them. NO one I know has ever bought anything from an ad off facebook.

I have been around from the dawn of computers. I remember when email was just between universities and you had to go thru a university to get an account. I've seen all this develop... I recall the internet when it first was being developed and it would be exciting and remember business trying to figure out how to use it effectively.

I was very sceptable of google for the same reason. Search engines are cool but I never understood how they would profit from it the way they have. Probably one of my biggest mistakes in my life, I actually went fishing several times with "the guy" who was responsible for bringing google public. (he has a house here and is a good friend of one of my fishing buddies) We had several discussions about this while we were fishing pre IPO about the company and I still could not get it. I thought it was overpriced at the IPO...what the hell did I know?

Back to social media...I understand the nosey nature of teens but I just don't get how these companies that really don't produce anything can be worth billions. Again, I see the ads.... but who buys stuff from those ads???

The coolest software that I think I ever recall seeing was napster. That has to be the most effective use of networking ever developed. That was way ahead of its time.

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 11-07-2013 at 09:46 AM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote