View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT Grimaldi View Post
Thanks guys. I have learned so much from this board and others like it. We were trolling, slow - about 2-2.8 kts sog wiht live pogeys on 80# fluorocarbon. We were using those snaps that split in half and then basically lock the leader into them. When we got the tuna boatside, it was only hanging on by 1/2 of the hook as the snap swivel had come undone in the fight. I don't think we'll be using those again. Any other suggestions?

I am thinking wind on swivel to my line directly. No snap.

any opinions?

BTW - the harpoon is THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don't try to lift the fish with it like a gaff. I might need replacements for my poon shaft. LOL.
The way I've been rigging is a wind on swivel between the running line and the fluorcarbon topshot. The I put a heavy split ring on one end of a 200 lb (+) barrel swivel. Then double palamar the barrel swivel. It can be a pain to change lures, especially if the eye is thick metal like some tuna hooks.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote