View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #42
Jim in CT

Johnny, I still maintain that talking about controlling federal spending, is not necessarily a distraction to the conversation you would like to have.

I liked a lot of the commission's ideas. I'd just like to see deeper cuts before we talk about raising tax rates. Since Obama has been in the oval office, the number of federal employees making > $150,000 has DOUBLED. That is so insane as to defy description.

Social security, medicare, medicaid have to be cut. There is no earthly reason why at least a portion of social security can't be privatized. Let me put my contributions into an S&P 500 Index fund, I'll have 5 times the nest egg that I'd have if you put it in t-bills. I cannot see the liberal argument against this, other than it came out of Bush's mouth, and therefore deranged liberals must oppose it...

Entitlement programs have to be cut. No one, and I mean NO ONE who is healthy, should just get a welfare or unemployment check in the mail. Have 'em pick up garbage at playgrounds, paint walls in city schools, have them dig up Mt McKinley and move it three inches to the right for all I care...but if people are physically able to work, and they want my tax dollars for welfare, then they can put down the beer and get off the goddamn couch.

At the state and local level, SOMEBODY NEEDS TO HAVE THE COURAGE TO SAY "NO MORE!!" to municipal unions.

After all those cuts are made, if we're still in debt, then raise taxes...