View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 07:21 AM   #22
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
My job requires that I have a complete set of hand and power tools with me at all times. If I'm going to be working at a job for two weeks or more, instead of hauling them all out of the truck in the morning then pack them all up and back into the truck at night, I lock them up in one of those large steel jobsite boxes. If you pack them correctly they can hold a #^&#^&#^&#^& load. The padlocks are recessed so they cant be cut with a bolt cutter. So a locked tool box in a locked house should be safe right?

I get to work one morning and a coworker meets me outside and says "don't go in there". "What happened"? I say ...."they got your tools" he replied. I go take a look and find that the jobbox door had been cut open, probably with an angle grinder, and peeled and bent back and all my tools ....gone.

My heart sank like a stone....got back in my truck and drove off.
Took a while to sink in......I'm useless without my tools. Some of the hand tools were passed down to me from my grandfather.
As to the thieves...police were called...reports filled out....that's it.
I have my suspicions but no proof....
Took me a whole day to sit down and do a list of what was taken.
I know the feeling all too well... an incident just as you described put me out of business as a marine mobile mechanic... forced a young father ( me) with 4 kids to have to go work for someone else while I waited for the insurance company to drag their feet...that was many years ago...I decided it was "safer" to work for some one else and never pursued working for myself again.. every tool I use belongs to me..I couldn't even venture a guess at the value of everything I've collected over the last 40 years... it's just easier( a little safer) to be at the same job site every day.. 23 years in my case... thieves suck!

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote