View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #60
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
She's in her 3rd year at Wake Forest, we went out there for Parents weekend and tacked on a few extra days to visit friends out in Asheville that just moved down there outta MA. Also hooked up with another friend down in Charlotte....who also moved outta MA a few years ago.

Asheville had that whole Portland ME vibe to it. they have a great Music scene, great restaurants, and of course great beer.

Really liked Charlotte as well, pretty clean city that offers sports and great BBQ. :-) Wouldn't want to live there because I'm not a fan of city living, but is a nice option to have relatively close by.

I'm sure, just like any state, they have their $hithole areas (yeah, I used THAT word ) but for the whole of what we saw we liked it.
Wake Forest is an awesome school. Congratulations, you all did a lot of things right, for her to end up there.

Sure, the Carolinas have their awful areas, as do CT and Mass. But unlike CT and Mass, they also have great areas that are much cheaper than anything you can find in CT or Mass. CT doesn't have a singe city that's (1) a great place to live, and (2) has low taxes and a low cost of living.

That's the advantage that the Carolinas offer, and they are taking advantage of it, to the detriment of CT. Our tax revenue is decreasing because people are leaving. But our expenses are increasing at the same time. Worst combination.

This summer, my 11 year-old has a big karate tournament in Greensboro. We'll spend 2 days there, then 2 days in the Charlotte suburbs to see a friend who fled CT for NC, then to the Outer Banks for a week.

TDF, you know what I've heard about Charlotte? On the outskirts of the city are areas that look and feel like suburbs, but are technically still part of the city. I don't know why more cities don't do that, I would imagine a lot of people would like to live on a suburban type street but be very close to the downtown.

I'm a huge fan of BBQ, looking forward to trying some in NC this summer.