View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #19
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Do you mean this awful statement, that you and other Trumplicans have extracted one word from and repeated it endlessly?
That word somehow justifies the multitude of awful statements and enabling of racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic groups by Trump.
And remember the Call and response "Who's paying for the wall?" Chorus: Mexico

"I know there are only 60 days left to make our case — and don’t get complacent, don’t see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think well he’s done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?

[Laughter/applause]

The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people — now how 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks — they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America. But the other basket — and I know this because I see friends from all over America here — I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas — as well as, you know, New York and California — but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they’re just desperate for change. It doesn’t really even matter where it comes from. They don’t buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won’t wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroin, feel like they’re in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."
"you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?"

She's talking about tens of millions of Americans.