View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
zimmy

I agree w/ saltheart to some extent on the small guide thing. I found no difference in performance going to say size 8 guides as compared to 10 or 12. Shockers completely limit the use of smaller guides in my experience (I don't use em anyway unless I am throwing 6 oz plus a chunk). However, if you aren't going to use a shocker and you aren't worried about weeds accumulating in the guides you can probably go with a 10 or 12. Even if 12 is going to be the smallest, four 12's along the tip in place of the 20, 16, and 12 that would otherwise be there might make a big difference. I found absolutely no benefit going with a 25 or even a 30 gathering guide with a reel like a 706 and it actually negatively impacted the performance of the rod. Others swear buy starting with the small gathering guide, however, I have never found anyone who builds like that who checks for line slap; I sould not got rid of line slap with a 30. As a kinda related aside, I have a buddy who has an arra 1205 wrapped with the older standard of 5 or 6 guides starting with a 50. He doesn't like the rod and almost never fishes it. The other night I decided to hand him the one I built using the new guide concept and he said it felt completely different than his. It is worth at least taping em on and trying it out.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote