Thread: Offshore report
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Offshore report

Left the dock 1030 Sat headed for the fishtails/middle ground area.
lines in ~2p or so Sat in 55 fathoms north of the fish tails (block canyon). Trolled through the tails and headed west, picked up 2 small yellows, a nice mahI (16LB) and a skippy on the flats in Middle grounds.

fished the night off the edge in 8-900ft of water south east of the dip. Quiet night on the drift. One take down (solid) missed that was a good fish, likely decent YFT or big-eye. a few other baits nibbled.

Highlight was at 3am, caught and released a est 7.5-8ft 300+lb hammerhead (first 'exotic' shark for the boat) on a shark bait (SKIPJACK FILLET) put out on a boredom whim. got on the big eye troll at 445 in the dark, nada till ~0630 when we got infested with a mix of short and barely legal yellowfin to ~30lbs. Most released, kept 4 total, pulled the hook on a few.

picked up a few more mahi on the highfliers, dropped a nice bull est 20 on the troll and another on spinning gear. hooked a pissed of 15lb that made a 40yard initial run, but turned out to just be long and lean.

Sounds like the bite was in eastern atlantis, oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hammerhead.jpg (23.1 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by RIROCKHOUND; 08-10-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
RIROCKHOUND is offline   Reply With Quote