View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #26
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
[QUOTE=Raider Ronnie;765154]
I would prefer charter separate from recs.
QUOTE]

Ronnie

You might want to get some details on how this idea will effect your business upon implementation.

In groundfish, there will be a limited entry program based upon your permit history. How long a boat has had the federal charter boat permit for groundfish will determine how many fish and if you get fish. Many with short history will most likely loose permits.

For Tuna the only permits that will count for history will be the charter/headboat permit. Besides the question of being shut out because of not enough history and or reporting, there will also be a lot of guys that have been getting the general category permit and chartering that will loose out as well.

This strategy will change every fisheries managment plan. For example; we just fought real hard to make sure the commercial fleet stays out side of places like wollaston for pogies. If the charter fleet is now selling fish to their customers, are they now considered commercial? Lots of changes and arguements.

The worst effect will be the split of representation on management bodies. The little clout we have will be splintered into many many opinions. This is a classic example of divide and conquer. The next move will be to split the Party/Head Boats from the Charter Boats. How is that going to work as far as representation in fisheries management. To support the "split" is goign to mean paying a lot more for representation.

Splitting Charter and Straight Recreational is a Bad Idea. All of the scenarios I have described have played out in other parts of the US.

There is a reason the National Association of Charter Boat Operators is against the split.

Just some more things that make you go hmmmmmm

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote