Thread: JazzFest
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Never been to New Orleans before so I am looking forward to ALL it has to offer.One of the couples we are going with went last year and he said the coolest part is seeing the musicians playing the clubs at night. He saw Robert Plant with around 60 people one of the nights.The lineup has me pumped and so does the prospect of eating some local faire.

I dont know if you're a history big music fan - I highly reccomend one of the french quarter tours, make sure they take you to Congo Square and Storyville.
Congo Square is where slaves would gather on Sunday, play music sing, etc. Its is the exact spot where blues and jazz were born. It one of the most imporant places in American music history. F'in magic standing there.
Storyville was an area of shacks/stalls that were filled with prostitutes, to entertain customers musicans played and this is where jazz really took off - Louis Armstrong played here as a kid and where he developed his style. Most tours do the graveyards which are pretty cool too.
Food is amazing, the jazz fest had good food too. I cant say enough about how awesome it is down there. Where else does a bouncer at a bar pour your drink into a cup as you EXIT a bar. Public drinking is the norm.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote