View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
To anyone who supports this, I say 2 things. First, since I assume you have been painting inside with the windows shut, you need to open the windows a bit. Those fumes can effect your brain. Second, what would you say to the parents (tax paying citizens) of a kid who got rejected from UMASS to make room for a kid whose family is here illegally, and pays no taxes? What do you tell that kid and his parents?
I do not support this as written. If you believe in the constitution as written, for now, children of illegals who were born here, are leagal. Do you punish them for their parents?

Working in academia, I have encountered children of residents, immigrants and maybe, illegal immigrants, I have no idea. As a rule (w/ the obvious caveat that there are always exceptions) the children of immigrants, exchange students and older students (especially former military!) are typically in the upper echelon of working hard at learning and are the least likely to screw off on mommy and daddy's nickel. You probably fell into this category Jim.

Several observations to think about, but not meant to be argumentative for this
1. What % of the total funding from a state university comes from the state (i.e. taxes). It may be less than you think, for example, URI is <15% now. I suspect UMASS is in the same vein.

2. The parents of the rejected students, if they were accepted/rejected on academic standards, i.e. SAT et al., High School GPA etc... then they should have worked harder, or go to a CC for a year and get all of those numbers up and reapply.

Again, I do not support illegal immigrants getting instate tuition. I do think the legal children of illegals is a grayer area, and I'm not sure how I feel about this. I just wanted to offer some insight to direct your anger at the proper places.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"