View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
One could argue that forcing someone to purchase something, goes against core conservative principles. But we force drivers to buy insurance, because we all have a vested interest in making sure that those we share the road with, have adequate insurance.

That kind of circular reasoning is not an example of principle, conservative or otherwise. Force drivers to have insurance in order to make sure they have insurance--really? I want to force you to give me something to make sure I have that something. Well, yeah, I guess there is a principle involved. The principle of absolute power.

For a Progressive, any "insurance" program is a transitional step to a centralized Federal "universal" program. Eventually, instead of forcing drivers to have insurance, we can transition to having "universal" coverage paid for by the U.S. taxpayer. That will spread the cost, right.

I think a similar case can be made with health insurance. I don't think anyone - ANYONE - should suffer long-term financial hardship because of health issues they have no control over (issues from obesity or smoking are a whole other matter, that's the result of choice, for the most part). To me, it seems very fair to spread the cost of un-preventable, lifelong catastrophic health issues, among all of us.
Exactly. Force everyone to buy health insurance. And when that eventually fails, transition to "universal" government health care.