View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

I have been called a wimp by some locals for choosing not to go to Stellwagen on some days in my 20' Grady CC. I don't care. On marginal days, I'll go on bigger boats. It is only 15 miles to NW corner for me, so I can keep an eye on the sky over Cape Ann. What I am looking for is a build up of cumulus clouds over that land mass. Visible from the bank. As that air rises, producing the huge white puffy clouds, it pulls in the "seabreeze", usually from about 210 degrees magnetic. Sometimes more westerly. You can almost time its arrival by watching the cloud build through the late morning. The clouds are my clock as to when it is time to beat feet and get home while the getting is good.(It's too bad, because I think there is a very good late afternoon/dusk bite that 90% of us are missing.)Very similar to the 'heat pump' that turns Buzzards Bay into a rocky ride on many a beautiful summer afternoon.

Can't emphasize safety enough, inshore or offshore. Plenty of bozos out there. That show was misleading, but it did my heart good....

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote