View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #52
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
The senior strategist for Senator John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign said on Sunday night that he had lied to discredit a New York Times article that reported on Mr. McCain’s close relationship with a female lobbyist, a claim that the candidate and the campaign attacked at considerable length at the time.

The statement from Steve Schmidt, which he published in a late-night Substack post, was a remarkable turnabout for a former senior aide who once praised Mr. McCain as “the greatest man I’ve ever known.”

More than 14 years after The Times’s article appeared and four years after the Republican senator’s death, Mr. Schmidt let loose a furious personal assault on the credibility of Mr. McCain and his family.

“Immediately following the story’s publication, John and Cindy McCain both lied to the American people,” Mr. Schmidt wrote, adding, “Ultimately, John McCain’s lie became mine.”
I'm not overly convinced about claims made against a man who isn't around to defend himself.

And I think (but this was awhile ago), I was referring to the rumor that John McCain was actually the biological father of the black girl they adopted.

McCain had his flaws, he wasn't a saint, he said he was completely responsible for the failure of his first marriage. He wouldn't elaborate.

Throwing dirt on someone after they're dead, doesn't impress me all that much. But I also wouldn't bet a dollar the story wasn't true.

If Bill Clinton can still be enormously popular with the left (and he is), I don't know why it matters if John McCain was a good husband. The older I get, the less I care about how presidents behave, if his wife wants to tolerate cheating, that's her business, I care if a POTUS keeps my kids safe and grows the economy, and gets otherwise decent results on major issues. Bill Clinton, who I think was a very good POTUS, showed me that results matter WAAAY more than personal ethics, or lack thereof.

Your memory is impressive.