View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #51
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Answer the question then
Is the use of classic rhetoric by Trump better?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
You originally posed it as a statement, not a question, in response to my saying that: "This 'But . . . meme' is getting tiresome. Especially when most of those who cite it do it themselves [as you've done in this thread]. It's not a valid argument but an Alinsky type tactic of ridicule meant to distract and destroy." To which you replied:

"Oh no, that is so evil sounds like something the evil NEA would suggest. And the tactic used by Trump, classic rhetoric is better in your mind."

In the first place, I didn't say your tactic was evil. I said it was ridicule, not a valid argument, and was meant to distract and destroy (that is, saying something like "But Hillary" is supposed to make a comparison to her a ridiculous thing to do, and absolves the "But . . " meme user from having to address or discuss the comparison. Perhaps you consider that an evil tactic. Perhaps you're right. I leave that up to you.

Secondly, if you're asking me if I consider what you refer to as Trump's use of "classical rhetoric" better than your repeating various versions of Trump-as-idiot, or better than your use of the "But . . ." meme, I don't place any value on any of those things. They are all equally little bits of isolated, out of context, useless information meant to cast aspersion.

And I don't equate Trump quotes to classical rhetoric. Did you mean to use the sarcastic "classy" rather than "classical" to describe his rhetoric? That would also be an Alinsky-like tactic of ridicule meant to convince or "win" an argument--much easier than torturing minds with logic and deductive reasoning.