View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Zeal
Always a Rookie

Lathe on the way, need a bit of help

Well it has been too long! Med school and life had other things for me to deal with (mostly of tragedy) and everything was put on hold. But I'm still kickin' and now the tools are en route!

Now, down to business: The season is upon my location and the only inlet I fish is infamous. Constantly fast, hard currents with unfriendly rocks making up the jetty. Every lure I have except my 3 oz. bucktail and heavy diamond jig gets swept and spit up by the current no matter what retrieval tactics I do (unless I really crank at an insane speed and the lure has a lip, which you guys know that leads to no lure action and no fish). The lure ends up "downstream" and swimming along the rocks just to come back to me.

I believe that my lures are just too light (correct me if I am wrong), however what do you guys suggest I build? Browsing around at heavier versions of my own plugs the fish will see them as torpedos and not bait. Typically, the lures that do produce are around the 5"-6" range, heavier versions end up 7+" making them too big (people here live-line Eels, I have yet to see anyone with an Eel plug).

If it helps, my biggest/heaviest plugs are SuperStrike's Darter and Needle (rest of the bag has Bombers, Poppers, Spooks, tins, Storm Shads, SuperSpots). The inlet current flows in from my left and continues past me to the right.

I am aiming for the lure to get that nice diagonal angle working against the current while I can get that slow and sweet retrieve.

My apologies for this long post but I aim to be as thorough and clear as possible and want to finally be able to sleep with a solution and not frustration!

P.S - Miss you guys! Congrats on the 2010 plug fish so far and amazing work on the newly turned plugs!

"Your first word was "Fishing", not "Mom", not "Dad", "FISHING." - Mom

Black, White, Chartreuse/Parrot = the Holy Trinity
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote