View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Linesider82

Excellent! Ross, that is a great boat which is still built on the sea-v2 hull design since '93, and I believe the console didn't change for many years meaning replacement parts are readily available. Even though your console might be difficult to work on or in, the plus side of that specific console is that it is a much more protective housing for electrical connections in the marine environment.

Rewiring is a worth-while investment in function and safety, plus on the water trouble-shooting from an upgraded electrical system is a comfort in itself. My boat project is still under half the cost of dealership new, and had I gone that route I wouldn't have a hardtop, any electronics, and it would have factory wiring. Even though my boat is 16 years old I can say it is better than new at under half the cost.

Your own investment in re-wiring is absolutely worth it.

In addition to reading Nigel Caulder's book here is another resource for wiring with pictures and diagrams.
https://newwiremarine.com/how-to/wiring-a-boat/

On that webpage there is a blue menu bar and a resources tab. Items 6, 7, and 8 (item 8 is linked above) offer diagrams for entire boat wiring, to various common items in boats (switches, bildge pumps, trim tabs, etc) and diagrams for single battery wiring, dual battery wiring etc. All of it can be downloaded as PDFs and printed! I used the new wire marine resources for the basic concepts and if needed re-read Caulder's book chapters on the same for more in depth understanding. The biggest take-away from reading Nigel's book for me was understanding the impact of what loads I have on my boat to what type of system I should install, battery sizing, what switched and unswitched loads are and why, fusing and what the job of the different fuses are, and creating an electrical system diagram labeled with my loads and their draw, wires/circuit protection sized to the loads, and fuse protection at the battery sized to the wire. At that point it was like putting together a lego set.

In addition to installing an access door to the boat's electrical area, it might also be worth looking into how easy/difficult it is to remove the upper half of your console to do that portion of wiring in the comfort of a well lit work area over next offseason, it would also provide the easiest access to pull any re-wiring under the deck and wire the under-console components with the console on a table or bench.

Looking forward to this season, and to follow the progress of your project.
Linesider82 is offline   Reply With Quote