View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
As usual Jim loves his needle in a haystack stories .. actually the avg Americans are still seeing nothing .. no matter how you hard you try to suggest otherwise

Your article is as much a "needle in a haystack" (or more) than what you claim Jim's is. What the "average" American "sees" depends on the source of information. If Americans see what you see, they are obviously limited in the scope of sources. Or they see only what they want to see.

I am not exceptionally different in economic status than the Average American. I "see" more money in my pocket than I had before and I'm not having to struggle to pay bills, buy what I want, and feel more than comfortable with my finances. I don't need a google article to tell me that I'm struggling. It sounds like google has no clue about this average American.

For most U.S. workers, real wages have barely budged in decades

"Barely budged" is not bad, it's even OK or better than big. Large overall increases in pay are far more inflationary than small ones. Budging is reasonable advancement, if advancement is needed. Fact is, rising wages is one of the factors creating inflation. Market equilibrium is achieved by balancing prices with cost. If wages go up, prices will also.

A stagnant economy should have little inflation. In that respect, stagnancy is neither bad nor good. Simply, equilibrium is maintained. A more critical factor is employment vs. unemployment. Stagnancy with high unemployment, to put it mildly, is not good.

Obviously, the "decades" you refer to have nothing to do with Trump. More important during those decades was how good or how poor the employment numbers were. The stagnancy during Obama's administration was crushing because the safety net cost of high unemployment had to be absorbed by government, so the tax burden was raised and those who were employed had to shoulder the cost even though their wages did not grow. As well, government had to borrow more to fund the safety net, so costs were shifted as well to future generations. And with no, to little, hope that the economy would grow fast enough (the new normal that we were supposed to be happy with) to provide more employment, not only for the unemployed, but for the growing population, a public feeling, substantiated by actual conditions, of malaise and discontent was fostered.

Come the Trump booming economy with its huge improvement of employment numbers, and it is natural, predictable, that a market equilibrium inflation would occur. And it was a double whammy inflation. Not only were employment and wages up, but the previous administration's excessive QE money which had not filtered into business growth, now saw the possibility for bigger dividends by actually investing it in the real business growth that it originally was meant to spur. So that wash of money also helped to boost inflation.

The greatest benefit of Trump's tax and regulatory cuts was not the wage increases and lower taxes, but the expansion of employment numbers. That makes the inflation equilibrium less significant, and it reduces the public safety net cost. So now there is more public optimism than discontent--except for that discontent fostered by the naysayers that want to discredit any Trump success.

Even if the economy is on a roll, many Americans aren’t feeling the benefit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mar...D-544633EAFF05
Yes, the economy is on a roll. Even your article admits that. And the many Americans that have the jobs created by that roll are absolutely feeling the benefit.