View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 01:34 AM   #34
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
The only times in history when a President has APPOINTED (temporarily) a Supreme Court Justice were those times when the Senate was in recess. And for those Judges to be able to retain their appointments, the Senate had to approve them when it came back in session.

You keep repeating the same mistake because you don't seem to grasp the simple notion that the President NOMINATES a potential Judge who must then be APPOINTED by the advice and consent of the Senate. Appointment is a process in which the Senate has at least as much, if not more, say as the President. The President cannot unilaterally APPOINT, except temporarily in extreme circumstance, a Supreme Court Justice. The Founders would NEVER have given one person the power to summarily and permanently APPOINT someone to such a high and fundamental position as a Supreme Court Judge. That would be outside their fundamental concept of separation of powers with its checks and balances. It would create a tyrannical power of one branch of the Federal Government over the others. It would strip The People of any say over those who would judge them. It would be a despotism which totally destroyed the Constitution they wrote.
I incorrectly used appointment rather than Nomination as you said... but it dosn't change my question > but thanks for the Civics lesson.. I in no way shape or form have I suggested what you have written I never mentioned recess appointments.. I incorrectly used a term.. you caught that but couldn't figure the context of my question?

. I have only expressed where in History? Has a Sitting president be told don't even forward a nomination ( not appointment ) for advice and consent...

you dont think this is the kinda of behavior that creates that tyrannical power of one branch which you wrote ^^^^

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said the Senate should not confirm a replacement for Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia until after the 2016 election

yet historically: from the NY times The Senate has never taken more than 125 days to vote on a successor from the time of nomination; on average, a nominee has been confirmed, rejected or withdrawn within 25 days. When Justice Antonin Scalia died, 342 days remained in President Obama’s term.

Last edited by wdmso; 02-16-2016 at 01:52 AM..